We are excited to announce that Acivico Group has been awarded The Retrofit Social Value Award at the Retrofit Academy Awards CIC 2024.

The ceremony, which took place at the ExCeL, London, brought together professionals working in the built environment to celebrate innovative retrofit projects that delivered high quality resident engagement, as well as showcasing the variety of career pathways within the retrofit sector.

The Retrofit Academy Awards is one of the biggest industry events of the year and highlights excellence in retrofitting across the market – from retrofit coordinators to installers, social housing and local authority delivery programmes to individual projects.

Acivico Group was awarded The Retrofit Social Value Award for our work on the Local Authority Delivery Phase 3 (LAD3) project, where we delivered a £7 million programme of works to retrofit nearly 700 properties across Birmingham, 90 per cent of which were council owned and the other 10 per cent privately owned.

This complex multi-disciplinary project was delivered as part of the Midland Net Zero Hub (MNZH) consortium which comprises 43 members in the East and West Midlands. Other partners that we worked on the project with included:

  • Client: Birmingham City Council
  • Contractors: Dodd Group, Equans and CoreLogic UK
  • Community Groups: MECC Trust, Acocks Greener and Retrofit Balsall Heath

Of the total MNZH regional delivery, Acivico Group delivered the most significant proportion of the LAD3 programme; a total of 15 per cent of all homes installed, including 20 per cent of all measure installs, in what was the largest single LAD3 project in the country.

The project involved making building improvements to increase energy efficiency performance to help reduce fuel consumption and costs, lower carbon emissions and create more comfortable and healthier living environments for residents. Community and resident engagement along with the successful management of installations and works were critical to this project’s success.

Learning from our previous experience of retrofit schemes, Acivico Group set out to involve residents and the wider community at every stage of this project and created a community/resident liaison programme which included:

  • Sending 2,300 mailshots to residents regarding the programme, its benefits and the opportunities to get involved
  • Holding more than 50 community engagement events to capture residents’ views and concerns, and to use this information to help shape the retrofit programme
  • Creating local ‘energy cafés’ where residents could obtain and share knowledge about energy use reduction. Some of these energy cafes have continued to take place under local leadership, leaving a legacy of sustainability at the heart of the community
  • Funded five local residents to attend National Energy Audit Training (Level 3) to qualify as local advisors, providing ongoing energy advice in the community

Feedback from residents included:

“I always talk about the solar panels because I think they are the best. I absolutely love them, I’m telling everybody they’re so fantastic. It was the fact that it got everybody talking about it and interested in it which made sure I followed it through rather than tossing it away. I’d like to think I would do it without the community effort but it was a sense of community that got me going.”

 

Retrofit Academy Awards CIC 2024
Retrofit Academy Awards CIC 2024
Retrofit Academy Awards CIC 2024